College Recruiting

At Ventura Country Volleyball we are committed to providing our players and parents with the tools and resources they need to be successful in the recruiting process.  If you want to learn more about playing in college or have questions VCVC is here to help.  If you’re a player looking for specific recruiting help or a recruiter with an inquiry regarding our club or player, please contact Steve “Yosh” Yoshimoto or call (805)340.9978.




NCAA ELIGIBILITY CENTER – Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete – Important eligibility information.




When do I become a prospective student-athlete?

When you start ninth-grade classes. Before the ninth grade, you become a prospective student-athlete if a college gives you (or your relatives or friends) any financial aid or other benefits that the college does not provide to all prospective students.

When is a college considered to be recruiting me?

If any coach or representative of the college’s athletics interests approaches you (or any member of your family) about enrolling and participating in athletics at that college.

Who can recruit me?

Only university coaches and staff. Alumni and friends of the university are NOT permitted to contact prospective student-athletes in any way.

Official Visits

How many official visits am I allowed to take? Beginning when?

Each prospective student-athlete is limited to five official visits which may be taken following the opening day of classes of your senior year of high school. You may take only one visit to any one institution.

What must the school have from me before I take an official visit?

The recruiting institution must already have a high school or a college transcript and ACT or SAT test scores on file.

Unofficial Visits

Can I pay my own way to visit a college campus? Starting when?

You may visit an institution’s campus at your own expense an unlimited number of times before your senior year of high school and continuing in your senior year.

What can the school give me when I go on an unofficial visit?

A maximum of three complimentary admissions to a campus athletic event in which that school’s team is competing, issued through a pass list only. Such complimentary admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospect and those persons accompanying him on the visit. They can be issued only on an individual game basis.

Correspondence and Recruiting Materials

From whom can I receive letters? Beginning when?

Coaches, faculty members and athletics staff members (but NOT boosters) can send you letters, starting September 1 of your junior year in high school.

What can a university send me?

A Division I university may provide you with the following materials: General correspondence, including letters, U.S. Postal Service postcards and institutional note cards, and materials printed on plain white paper with black ink; NCAA educational information; pre-enrollment information subsequent to signing a National Letter of Intent with the university; one athletic publication (media guide or recruiting guide) which may include only one color printing inside; official academic, admissions and student services publications or videotapes produced by the institution and available to all students; questionnaires.

Can they send me anything prior to my junior year?

Only questionnaires and summer camp brochures.

Can any other materials be mailed to me?

No. Game programs, which may not include posters, can be provided only during official or unofficial visits to the school’s campus. The same restrictions apply to student-athlete handbooks.

Phone Calls

Who can call me on the phone? When? How often?

Coaches are permitted to call you after July 1 after the completion of your junior year. After that date, a coach can call you or your parents or legal guardian once a week. Boosters are NOT permitted to call.

When are coaches or faculty members allowed unlimited calls to me?

At the following times: During the five days immediately before your official visit to that university; on the day of a coach’s off-campus contact with you; during the time beginning with the initial National Letter of Intent (NLI) signing date in your sport through the two days after the signing date.

Can I call coaches collect or toll free? When?

Yes. You may call coaches or universities collect or use a toll-free (1-800) number on or after July 1 after you complete your junior year of high school.

The Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse

What is the Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse?

If you intend to participate in Division I athletics as a freshman, you must register with and be certified by the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse. Your high school counselor should provide you with the student-release form and a red brochure titled, “Making Sure You Are Eligible to Participate in College Sports.

How do I register with the Clearinghouse?

Complete the student-release form and mail the top (white) copy of the form to the Clearinghouse along with the $18 registration fee.

What else does the Clearinghouse need to certify me?

After graduation and before school closes for the summer, your high school must send the Clearinghouse a copy of your final transcript that confirms graduation from high school. You also must have your ACT or SAT scores sent to the Clearinghouse.

How do I have my test scores sent to the Clearinghouse?

Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. You can accomplish this by marking code 9999 as one of the institutions to receive your scores, or submit a request for an “Additional Score Report” to the appropriate testing agency.